Kohler 20kW Generator - Overal Review
Generators from Kohler have been ruling the generator industries for years. They have a vast number of customers across the world for their quality and high-performance products.
They are affordable than their competitors and will save your day where a power cut is a common or unexpected power failure. Not all are the whole house generators are same and fit in any situations and electrical appliances. However, the Kohler whole house generators are exceptional.
The Kohler generators have a powerful engine, allowing you to use them for various purposes such as RVs, camping, residentials, outdoor events, etc. And their clean power works well on sensitive devices like mobile phones, laptops, etc.
Surprisingly! The Kohler has various series for different uses. The Kohler 20kw generator is one among them. They help you tackle any circumstances with their unique features. Here we are going to see the best generators of Kohler 20kw generator. So, get in touch with this article to know them thoroughly.
Kohler 20kw generator – Overview
The Kohler 20RESCL-200SELS Air-Cooled Standby Generator would be helpful at the time of power outages, even for a few hours or several days. Though this 20K kilowatts power is not the highest energy, it is more than enough for a mid-to-large sized home. In fact, with its power Boost technology, it can power even for larger appliances. In addition, most standby generators from Kohler don't have to refuel frequently as they run on liquid propane or natural gas either! It is capable of responding within 10 seconds after a power failure that too automatically. So, there is no need for manual operation. It is manufactured with steel and covered with electrically applied paint to withstand any harsh elements.
- Dimensions - 48″ x 26.2″ x 29″
- Weight – 580 Ibs
- Warranty – 5 years
- Comes with five years warranty, making it for worthier investment
- Automatically start in 10 seconds
- Includes 200amp automatic transfer switch
- 20K kilowatts power for high power equipment
- Runs on either natural gas or propane
- Power Boost technology delivers an excellent starting power
- Corrosion-Proof Enclosure
- Relatively quiet
- Neighbourhood friendly performance
- Might not be the one for off-grid locations
The Power You Need
The PowerBoost Technology delivers power to operate high-power appliances like air conditioners without stopping.
The generator delivers a low level of harmonic distortion, making it safe for sensitive electrical appliances such as mobile phones, television, etc.
It is powered by a reliable Kohler Command Pro engine, which is commercially tested and specifically designed for high load and more extended operation. Hydraulic valve lifters eliminate the need for expensive valve adjustments and lengthy break-in periods.
This can be compatible with OnCue Plus Wireless Generator Management Systems, OnCue Plus, Programmable Interface Module (PIM), Load Control Module (LCM), or Load Shed kit with single-phase generators.
Things to Remember while Buying a Whole House Generator
This is the first and foremost factor you need to consider before choosing the generator since each has various power outputs. What electrical devices do you want to operate during a power failure? How much power is required for this? Based on the factor, you have to choose the generator. For large and mid-sized homes, go with high power output models and average levels for small to medium-sized homes.
Of course! The fuel type of the generator is also essential. Usually, the whole house generators have included liquid propane and natural gas fuel types, but some only run either. This is why it is essential to pay attention to their fuel type before buying it.
Noise and Fumes
One thing to consider while buying a whole house generator is the noise level. How would the noise and fumes level be? You probably don't want to have a noisy generator since it might disturb you and your neighbors.
The industry standard of the generator is measured by standing 23 feet away from the generators. A 70-80 decibel sound is much like a vacuum cleaner which is the average noise for a generator. This unit has a 74-decibel noise level which is pretty good for a portable generator.
If you think this is too much noise, you can use a muffler or silencer to reduce the noise level. This should be another consideration if you are concerned about it. Mostly, the whole house generators noise would be higher than inverter or portable generators, but not too much level.
The Kohler 20KW generator is powered by Kohler's Command Pro CH1000 air-cooled engine, which comes with hydraulic lifters. The 999 cc V-Twin lets you operate at a maximum of 32 horsepower. So, you can easily switch to the unit at 3600 rpm on overload conditions. It uses a fully pressurized oil lubrication system, which holds an integrated oil cooling unit and three quarts of oil. Both these offers unattended and extended run times. When it comes to the maintenance of the engine, you can schedule for oil and oil filter changes 150 hours of run time or annually, while air filters and sparks plugs need to be changed 300 hours or annually.
This unit has RTX 200 amp transfer switch, which can directly work with the DC2 controller on the generator's board. It keeps monitor the utility of the electric current and sends the actual data to the controller.
When it detects some interruption or falls below acceptable levels in the electric current, it helps start the engine immediately right after a short outage. First, the engine starts to reach optimal speed, and the transfer switch helps the generator power to the home power sources.
After the electrical power is restored, all the home sources are moved onto the utility power. So the generator gets shut down automatically after cool down the engine. The RTX 200 amp is installed with the load shed kit, which monitors the current and frequency of the generator to determine when to shed loads.
The RDC2 controller works with the transfer switch and delivers the power for various appliances during a power outage. It comes with four-button operator interfaces with LED indicators and an LCD display. This lets you know the different status of the generator, including maintenance reminders, voltage and frequency, etc.
On display, you can find the transfer switch, alternator, load control module, programmable interface module, and diagnostic messages for the engine. It also features an Ethernet port for controlling and monitoring the generator.
- Displacement: 999 cm³ (61 cu. in.)
- Horsepower: NG 27.1 HP, LP 30.9 HP
- Enclosure: Aluminum
- Response Time: 10 seconds
- Sound Output During Weekly Exercise: 64 dB
- Sound Output During Full-speed Operation: 69 dB
- Warranty: Premium five-year limited warranty
- Country of Origin: US
- Certification: EPA
- Automatic Transfer Switch: Sold Separately
- Weigh: t555 lbs. (252 kg)
- Fuel Consumption: 161 cfh on Natural Gas at 50% load
- Fuel Consumption: 82 cfh on Natural Gas at 50% load
- Controller: RDC2 Controller
- Dimensions: 1193 mm x 666 mm x 817 mm (47 in. x 26.2 in. x 32.2 in.)
- Engine: Kohler's Command Pro CH1000 air-cooled engine
- Engine/Alternator: RPM3600
- Fuel Type: LPG, Natural Gas
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Phase: Single Phase or Three Phase
- Voltage @ 60 Hz: 120/240|277/480
Kohler 20RESCL-100LC16 Air-Cooled Standby Generator with 100 Amp Transfer Switch Single Phase, 20,000-Watt Garden & Outdoor
- 20,000-watt air-cooled generator automatically starts up when the power goes out
- Includes 100 amp 16-circuit automatic transfer switch
- Fast response--power to your home in 10 seconds; premium power quality; quiet operation
- 100% corrosion-proof enclosure offers protection from even the harshest seaside conditions
- Measures 48 by 26.2 by 29 inches; 5-year/2000-hour limited warranty, Battery type needed - Group 51
- Warranty Coverage- Five (5) years f... Read More
Alternative to Kohler 20KW Generator
Kohler Generators 24RCL 24000-watt Standby Generator
Kohler Generators 24RCL 24000 is powered by Kohler 2.2l Commercial engine, making it popular for whole-house generators out there. It is operated at 1,800 pm.
Its 24000W can simultaneously power multiple electrical appliances with high wattages, making it ideal for large or mid-sized homes.
There is a less than 5% harmonic distortion to protect the devices from damage you'll connect to it. It comes with five years premium warranty. It comes with an optional OnCue plus or OnCue plus wireless remote monitoring system.
- Wattage: 24000 watts
- Item Dimension: 74 x 32.9 x 45.1 inches
- Weight: 1260 Pounds
- Its Commercial Grade engine is powered by KOHLER operating at 1,800 pm
- 5% harmonic distortion that protects your all electronics from damage
- 5-year premium warranty and 2,000-hour limited warranty
- Remote monitoring -optional OnCue plus or OnCue plus wireless remote monitoring system gives you control of your KOHLER generator throughout the world
- There are no installation charges and local permitting charges
Therefore, the whole house generators or home standby generators are a worthier investment if you live in an area with frequent power failures. They are more reliable and durable can withstand any weather conditions. Its power can last several days right after a power outage. This is also an affordable and safer option.
Overall, the Kohler 20RESCL-200SELS Air-Cooled Standby Generator is efficient and good value for money. It is ideal for someone who wants power backup for their large or mid-sized home.